Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Week 2 so far...

Well, it's hard to believe that Harper is already a week old. It seems like a bit of a blur...a wonderful blur! The lack of sleep almost reminds me of college finals week...nah, this is much more joyful than that!

I am breastfeeding Harper so since she's was born we've been tracking her "output" since we can't measure her input. I wonder if a year ago Ken and I would have thought we'd be referring to the "poopy chart"? The first few days I was all gung-ho to write down the times I fed her and how many of each diaper. I think by day 2 home I was over that! It doesn't take long to hit that "at least this many" number! When you see yourself replenishing the diaper caddy so frequently, you know it's "at least" enough "output"! Who ever thought I would obsess so much over my babies' bodily functions?! So anyway, after all of this output tracking we were due to take her to the Breastcare Center for a weigh-in on Monday to make sure she was gaining back her weight.  She weighed 8.3 at birth and 7.11 when we left the hospital. Monday's weight in: 8.4! They said whatever I was doing, keep it up! Yea Mommy! Yea Harper! (Sorry Daddy, not much you could do here!) I  was so proud of my little chug-a-lugging girl! She is doing such a good job.

She has been napping really good today. I think she's had to adjust to sleeping not being held since that's pretty much the only way she slept for the first few days of life! She hates sleeping on her back, so any advice you have on that would be welcomed! Many people say just let her sleep on her tummy, but that gives me heart palpitations! 

I let Ken give her a bottle for her 2am feeding last night so I could sleep. It was amazing! I think I got 6 hours of sleep last night! We all slept great, so today has been wonderful! 

Well, that's about all of the catching up I can do for you now. Other than I love her more than anything in the world and I can't seem to stop looking at her, even as I type. Oh, and I can't stop taking pictures. I think I need to get more memory for my computer before it crashes! Thank goodness for digital cameras! Kodak or Snapfish is about to make a good buck off of me when I order like 300 prints---for the first 2 weeks! 

Hope you are all great and had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Off for a nap of my own, maybe!

3 comments:

Kami said...

Congratulations on Harpers weight gain!!! I know how stressful that can be. One website that is really helpful for anything breastfeeding is www.kellymom.com. My lactation consultant recommended it to me and I found myself on there all the time! I'm sending a big hug your way : )

Kasey and John Colvin said...

I LOVE the pics. The little stripe dress had me laughing. SO precious!!!!! John won't sleep on his back either but I was so scared to let him sleep on his stomach. We compromised & let him sleep on his side. Maybe you could try that....it's still not recommended but supposedly safer than tummy? Hang in there for a little while longer. I thought the first 8 weeks were tough but it gets a lot easier. I am dying to meet her!!!!! xoxo

Kasey and John Colvin said...

one other thing....you can prepay for prints on Snapfish & get them for nine cents a copy. I do that frequently. :)